The Crud

I was going to try to do a “detailed” blog entry with links but right now my connection is unbearably glacial and the first couple of sites I tried had endless popup ads so forget it.

We got back from Orleans, CA on Tuesday and I returned with a lovely flu type thing. I heard it’s going around the whole crew down there. At least I got to suffer at home with my own TV and great big bed.

Actually, we went to Eureka on Monday and visted Grandma which ended up being totally depressing. She was just lucid enough to be stuck in the loop about how she wanted to go home, she wanted to go home, she wanted to go home. When we got ready to leave I leaned down to give her a hug and she totally stiffened up and gave me the most heart-breaking look and told me she was coming home with me. (a) we weren’t taking her but also (b) we weren’t going to Orleans, we were going to Gold Beach. And when I told her that she slumped back into her wheelchair and mumbled good-bye. I cried in the parking lot.

Bob and I had planned to take Grandma to lunch but we got there late and she’d already had lunch so instead of taking her anyways so we could eat which would have been the smart thing to do, we visited with her for a couple of hours and thought we’d eat after. But then we didn’t want to eat too much because we were going out to a nice dinner for our anniversary (7 years) so we ate granola bars and peanuts in the car. The drive from Eureka to Gold Beach was beautiful but took a bit longer than I expected. We checked into our hotel and dashed to the restaurant we’d picked: The Nor’Wester and there was a wait. Then our appetizer fell through the cracks so by the time we got something to eat we were not the friendliest of people.

The food was fantastic. I can’t more strongly recommend the Dungeness and Brie appetizer. The next day was Tuesday, going back home day, and I woke up with a sore throat and by the time we hit Eugene my head hurt and my eyes hurt and I ached and moaned and groaned all the way home. And I have been feeling poorly since then. I stayed home from work Weds and today and I’m feeling a little better except I cough a lot and I have little appetite and I can’t sleep so I’m very tired.

This entry was posted in doing it wrong, Orleans. Bookmark the permalink.